Review: Starclimber

Starclimber
Starclimber by Kenneth Oppel

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



Starclimber is the first steampunk spaceship, from Lionsgate, an alternate Vancouver Canada. Narrator Matt Cruse (#3) fails to qualify as one of three astralnauts. His beloved suffragette Kate can board only after accepting another's proposal. She keeps calling her new fiance by the wrong name. "He looks like a George." (I've had the same trouble.)
Fellow-student Tobias guesses their attraction. "It's the way you look whenever she mentions her fiance. My cat looks like that before he hacks up a hairball." Tobias is "a wipeout ... sit on a girl ... She was really small - I didn't see her."
Babelites infiltrate in Paris. Lives are lost, and a decimal point in crucial calculations. Explosions and narrow escapes take precedence over stolen smooches; Kate acts super selfish. "I don't know what kind of life we'll have together, with me always flying off in one direction and you in the other."
Spoiler:
I smiled. "It's a good thing the world's round." - Matt

MC#1 Airborn awards: Red Maple, Schwartz, Gov.Gen.Children's Lit
#2 Skybreaker awards: London Times Children's Novel of the Year



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment