Review: The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents


The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents
The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents by Terry Pratchett

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



"The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents" by Terry Pratchett is a fun take on the pied piper tale, fast and clever, as long as he's not philosophizing about the meaning of life and such. Talking con-man cat convinces enchanted Changelings, thinking rat tribe, and "looks-stupid" boy piper Keith to take on one last Uberwald village. Mayor's daughter Malicia looks at life as if everything fits in a familiar story-line. Whereas in "real life ... when someone small and righteous takes on someone big and nasty, he is grilled bread product very quickly". At least she can pick the lock into the Rat-catcher guild headquarters and disclose the evil. Co-operation (and benevolent diety) make the whole stronger than individuals, such as Keith, who claims "I'm the kind of person heroes aren't. I get by and I get along. I do my best."
Spoiler:
"You pretend that rats can think, and I promise to pretend that humans can think too." The rat leader convinces the mayor to compromise.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment